Welcome to West Adams Prep High School GEAR UP
West Adams belongs to the second of four GEAR UP 4 LA grants operating at eight school sites in the Los Angeles Unified School District. Our unique cohort model follows the same group of students for seven years, meaning our current tenth and eleventh graders – the graduating classes of 2020 and 2021 – have been with GEAR UP 4 LA since 2014.
Fifty percent of our students live within the Promise Zone, an area designated by President Obama’s initiative to expand educational opportunities. They face challenges including transience, living below the poverty line, and being the first in their family to attend college.
GEAR UP 4 LA has provided services for over 13,000 students at over twenty campuses. Stop by the GEAR UP office anytime.
- Room: N-003
- [email protected]
Our peer mentor program develops leadership qualities, strengthens public speaking skills, and trains students to become role models for their peers and advocates for their community. As mentors, students reach out to their peers and families with the premise that if individual students have the opportunity to climb the ladder of success, they will bring their families and communities along with them.
AS A GEAR UP MENTOR, YOU WILL:
- serve as a leader and role model to your peers
- get fellow students excited about school and learning
- attend regular meetings to build your leadership skills
- encourage your fellow students to do well in their classes
- become a better public speaker
Mentor Club Happenings
News & Updates
- Congratulations to our new Executive Board for the GEAR UP 4 LA Mentor Club at West Adams!!
- 9th Grade President: Lily Herrera
- 9th Grade Secretary: Melanie Mendoza
- 9th grade Treasurer: Ema Ramos
- 9th Grade SLC Rep for STEM: Dulce Lozano
- 9th Grade SLC Rep for Business: Ana Munoz
- 10th Grade President: Genisis Garrido
- 10th Grade Secretary: Emily Garcia
- 10th Grade Treasurer: Ahamed Bermudez
- 10th Grade SLC Rep for STEM: Paola Flores
- 10th Grade SLC Rep for Business: Jennifer Bautista
- 10th Grade SLC Rep for SOTA: Xiomara Pineda
Dates to Remember
- Class Mentor Presentations (CMP's)
- Bi-weekly Mentor Meetings
WOW, SIGN ME UP – I WANT TO BE A PEER MENTOR!
To be a peer-mentor, students must have a 2.0 GPA or higher, a teacher/staff recommendation and parent permission. If you are interested in becoming a mentor, complete the online application. Please stop by the GEAR UP office if you need help completing the application.
Click the button below to fill out an application!
FOR TEACHERS AND STAFF: If you think a student has what it takes to be a mentor, fill out a recommendation form by clicking on the button below!
First Day of Fall 2019
Operation Get It Done (OGID) 1B
|RFK||8:30AM - 2:00 PM|
|LACC||9:00AM - 12:00PM|
Holiday: NO SCHOOL
Questions? Contact us at [email protected].
- College: Cal Poly Pomona
- Favorite Movie: Thriller/Suspense
- Favorite Food: All types
- My biggest influence: I will have to say that this person has to be my mom. She went through a lot to get me here and to raise me. She is my main motivation to do well and to achieve greatness. I truly believe, because of her, I seek perfection because I want her to be proud of who I am today.
- Why I love my job: Because I get to see students grow up and mature in ways I can’t describe. I find joy in my students when they are happy, when they seek out help, when they joke with me, and when they see me as an adult they can rely on or run to. It is the greatest reward to see them change for the better.
Sandra Casillas Munoz
- College: University of California, Berkeley
- Favorite Movie: The Great Gatsby, Focus, The Lion King, Spider-Man
- Favorite Food: Can’t say, I love it all
- My biggest influence: My parents, my siblings, and my community have been my biggest influence.
- Why you love your job: I love my job because it gives me the opportunity to demystify higher education and motivate students. My job allows me to see students grow and discover of all the opportunities that are out there.
- College: Whittier College
- Favorite Movie: Rogue One
- Favorite Food: Pizza
- My biggest influence: My biggest influence is my cousin, who has had a tough life but he always finds a way to overcome his obstacles.
- Why I love my job: I love working with GEAR UP because I get to work with students and their families. My favorite part of the job is getting to see the growth that happens in a short amount of time, I can’t wait see the growth that’s to come.
- College: Santa Monica College and Bryant College Medical Administrative Assistant program
- Favorite Movie: Temple Grandin and My Name is Khan
- Favorite Food: Mexican, Italian, Mediterranean and of course Salvadorian food.
- My biggest influence: There are two people who has made me the woman that I am. My grandmother who raised me to be a hard working woman and my son who has taught me to always fight back, never give up and understand the world from a different perspective. He has made me a better person and because of him I learn new things every day.
- Why I love my job: I love my job because keeping track of data is a very important part of the grant. I love data and it’s one of my biggest passions.