Hello Titans! Second semester of Senior Year is well under way! Many of you have begun to hear from your colleges–GEAR UP wants to hear from you!
Worried about how you will pay for college? Never fear–GEAR UP is here ….to help you complete the FAFSA or California DREAM ACT applications. This is the time to complete your financial aid form, if you haven’t done so already. We recommend that you complete your application together with your parent. The Priority Deadline to complete your FAFSA or DREAM ACT is March 2.
You should also be applying for scholarships–there are lots of them on the GEAR UP website.
We are in Room 179–stop by and visit.
- Room: 3-179
Our peer mentor program develops leadership qualities, strengthens public speaking skills, and trains students to become role models for their peers and advocates for their community. As mentors, students reach out to their peers and families with the premise that if individual students have the opportunity to climb the ladder of success, they will bring their families and communities along with them.
AS A GEAR UP MENTOR, YOU WILL:
- serve as a leader and role model to your peers
- get fellow students excited about school and learning
- attend regular meetings to build your leadership skills
- encourage your fellow students to do well in their classes
- become a better public speaker
Mentor Club Happenings
Dates to Remember
- Mentor Meeting - 5/18/17
- Mentor Meeting - 5/25/17
- Mentor Meeting - 6/1/17
WOW, SIGN ME UP – I WANT TO BE A PEER MENTOR!
To be a peer-mentor, students must have a 2.0 GPA or higher, a teacher/staff recommendation and parent permission. If you are interested in becoming a mentor, complete the online application. Please stop by the GEAR UP office if you need help completing the application.
Click the button below to fill out an application!
FOR TEACHERS AND STAFF: If you think a student has what it takes to be a mentor, fill out a recommendation form by clicking on the button below!
Questions? Contact us at email@example.com.
- College: Undergrad-American University and Graduate-UCLA, CSUN
- Favorite Movie: Star Wars (Episode IV)
- Favorite Food: Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- My biggest influence: My parents have been my biggest influence. They raised me to be compassionate, gracious, and curious. I have also been greatly influenced by the experience of spending my junior year of high school as a student in Germany.
- Why I love my job: I love my job because I get to work with an awesome team of people who are passionate and beyond dedicated to students. I love seeing students’ faces light up as they realize their dreams. I also love that I have been able to follow them and get to know their families over the course of the Grant.
Assistant Site Coordinator
- College: Occidental College – Philosophy
- Favorite Movie: Belly
- Favorite Food: Buffalo Chicken
- My biggest influence: Bernie Sanders taught me to never stop fighting for what is right. Our revolution will empower all people in our country regardless of their race, ethnicity, gender, or socioeconomic status.
- Why I love my job: I love the students that I work with and am inspired by them every day. I am motivated by the positivity and optimism that our students exude, and it pushes me to do my job to the best of my ability. Overall though, I love my job because I genuinely believe that the work we do at GEAR UP is contributing to the greater good of our community, city, country, and world.
- College: UCLA- Psychobiology, CSULA – Counseling
- Favorite Movie: Anything from the 90s with Julia Roberts
- Favorite Food: Pozole
- My biggest influence: My mother, who always taught me that education can lead to independence and a brighter future.
- Why I love my job: I love seeing students’ growth and accomplishments.
Julissa De La Cruz
Mentor Coordinator/Program Assistant
- College: UCLA- Sociology
- Favorite Movie(s): 10 Things I Hate about You, A Walk to Remember, & most “chick flicks”
- Favorite Food: Italian
- My biggest influence: Bernard “Bernie” Sanders, has inspired many young people (myself included) to be actively involved and take action when it comes to justice for all.
- Why I love my job: I know the students we serve in GEAR UP have so much to offer the world. I love being part of their transition to greater things!
- College: Proud parent of 3 children at San Diego State University, San Francisco State University, and Penn State
- Favorite Movie: Mi Familia
- Favorite Food: Mexican Food
- My biggest influence: My husband because he has always placed his family first and has always encouraged me and our children to strive for the best.
- Why I love my job: As the mother of four, I am very proud of my children’s accomplishments and I aim to serve other families so that they may achieve the same. I am a big believer that GEAR UP works and I enjoy empowering students and their families to realize their dreams of higher education.