The GEAR UP 4 LA staff has been working with the Classes of 2017 and 2018 since 2011. Some of our services include counseling, tutoring, parent workshops, college visits, peer mentoring, professional development and concurrent enrollment. Remember to get good grades to be able to participate in different opportunities and to keep your options open. Stop by the GEAR UP office, we’d love to see you.
- Room 209
- [email protected]
Our peer mentor program develops leadership qualities, strengthens public speaking skills, and trains students to become role models for their peers and advocates for their community. As mentors, students reach out to their peers and families with the premise that if individual students have the opportunity to climb the ladder of success, they will bring their families and communities along with them.
AS A GEAR UP MENTOR, YOU WILL:
- serve as a leader and role model to your peers
- get fellow students excited about school and learning
- attend regular meetings to build your leadership skills
- encourage your fellow students to do well in their classes
- become a better public speaker
WOW, SIGN ME UP – I WANT TO BE A PEER MENTOR!
To be a peer-mentor, students must have a 2.0 GPA or higher, a teacher/staff recommendation and parent permission. If you are interested in becoming a mentor, complete the online application. Please stop by the GEAR UP office if you need help completing the application.
Click the button below to fill out an application!
FOR TEACHERS AND STAFF: If you think a student has what it takes to be a mentor, fill out a recommendation form by clicking on the button below!
Questions? Contact us at [email protected].
- College: UC Santa Cruz
- Favorite Movie: Goonies
- Favorite Food: Arroz con longaniza
- My biggest influence: My biggest influence would have to be my step-father. As a young man he played a huge role in the development of my character. He helped me understand the true importance of hard work and dedication.
- Why I love my job: Every day I have the opportunity to work with truly inspiring students and help provide them with opportunities that they deserve.
Senior Academic Advisor
- College: University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
- Favorite Movie: Zootopia
- Favorite Food: Green Enchiladas/ Brownies
- My biggest influence: My biggest influence is my mother. She is strong, compassionate and very optimistic. My mother helped nourish my passion for serving my community and educational equity.
- Why I love my job: I love my job because it allows me to support first-generation college students pursue their dreams. I am privileged to have a job that gives me a platform to influence the next generation of world leaders, scholars and professionals.
- College: University of California, Los Angeles (BA) Human Biology
- My biggest influence: My younger brother is my biggest influence. Despite his numerous challenges, he is the definition of a warrior. I build from his strength and light.
- Why I love my job: As a first generation college student, I lived through the barriers of not having enough resources in pursuit of my education. I love my job because it gives me the opportunity to address these barriers for students who come from similar backgrounds as mine. I am humbled to be an agent of change in the lives of hardworking, bright students by increasing their support system and connecting them to key resources that will allow them to succeed.
- My passions are: I am passionate of bringing social justice in education and health to marginalized communities like South Los Angeles. For too long we have lacked access to equitable resources that are crucial to lead sustainable communities. I am passionate about increasing resources that will improve the mental health of communities of color given that this is the cornerstone of living a healthy productive life!
- Favorite Quote: Every experience, no matter how bad it seems, holds within a blessing of some kind. The goal is to find it. – Buddha
- College: C Betis #45
- Favorite Movie: Courage
- Favorite Food: Chinese Food
- My biggest influence: My parents
- Why I love my job: I love to talk to, advise, and help all of our parents. As a mother with teenage children I can relate to them really well.